Trump administration may have separated another 1,700 migrant children from their parents
Added 05-19-19 04:13:02pm EST - “Almost 2,000 children may have been separated from their family at the border before President Trump even enacted his "zero tolerance" policy, his administration admitted.” - Nydailynews.com
CLICK TO SHARE
Almost 2,000 children may have been separated from their family at the border before President Trump even enacted his “zero tolerance” policy, his administration admitted.
The Trump administration said Friday that 1,712 migrant children with “some preliminary indication of separation” have been referred to US Customs and Border Protection as officials are forced to track down parents and children who were split up, CNN reported.
Last year, Judge Dana Sabraw ordered the administration to identify the children who had been separated before the zero tolerance policy, which took thousands more away from their family.
Officials have acknowledged about 47,000 cases to process as part of the identification. Commander Jonathan White, of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, said Friday that his team has completed preliminary reviews of more than 13,000 of them, according to CNN.
Sabraw’s decision came in response to a lawsuit filed by the ACLU after revelations that the administration had been separating families as early as July 2017. Separated families weren’t tracked in a searchable system by Customs and Border Protection until April 2018.
Post a comment.
CLICK TO SHARE