CLICK TO SHARE
Los Angeles County is bringing back its indoor mask mandate despite there not being a single COVID-19 patient in the ICU at its largest healthcare provider.
LA County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said last week that the county would bring back its indoor mask mandate by the end of July after the area moved into the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) “high” risk community level based on transmission and hospitalization rates. However, doctors in Los Angeles raised questions this week about just how many people are in the hospital due to the coronavirus.
“Only 10% of our COVID-positive admissions are admitted due to COVID, virtually none of them go to the ICU, and when they do go to the ICU, it is not for pneumonia. They are not intubated,” LA County+USC Medical Center (LAC+USC) chief medical officer Dr. Brad Spellberg said recently at an internal town hall.
After video of the comments spread, LAC+USC released a statement clarifying the remarks, but it confirmed that the area isn’t seeing a surge in serious COVID-19 cases.
“We would like to be very clear: the COVID-19 pandemic remains a very serious public health threat that we must continue to fight with every tool available,” the statement read. “While we are not currently experiencing an increase in ICU admissions at LAC+USC, we are seeing a significant increase in the number of infections among our patients, staff and the communities we serve.”
Watch the video:
NEW: L.A. County+USC hospital confirms only 10% of their COVID positive patients are hospitalized *for* COVID, few are being admitted to ICU, & nobody has been intubated for COVID pneumonia in months. Only 3 patients currently hospitalized *for* COVID, none are in ICU. @FoxNews pic.twitter.com/FPnHheSpX7
— Bill Melugin (@BillFOXLA) July 18, 2022
If you don't see any comments yet, congrats! You get first comment. Be nice and have fun.
CLICK TO SHARE